Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Value of the Rosary

by Tina Coffey
The following selection is taken from a brief personal testimony that I was asked to share with my parish church several years ago.  I still strive to say the rosary daily.  Sometimes I am more successful than other times.  I can tell you that when I have been vigilent in my desire, the Lord has granted me peace and vision.  I think it is worth sharing, especially for readers who may not see the value in this prayer.  
When I sat down to write this, I asked myself if this was possible. How am I going to truly reach hundreds of people in a matter of minutes? Rather than continue to tell myself how impossible this was, I decided to pick up the very tool that I was challenged to share with you today. I picked up my rosary and began to pray. The following is what God gave to me. I ask you to open your minds and hearts to hear my story.
What is the Rosary? It is the truth, a history, a weapon against evil, and finally a tool that can increase faith and grace.
The Rosary is the story of a real family and the events in their lives.
It is the story of good news, a visit with a family member you love, the birth of a new baby. It is proud moments parents have for their child and also the fear and worry a parent experiences.

It is life's celebrations and miracles: baptisms, weddings, living out your calling,

It is tragedy: worry and fear, facing fears, facing the evil in this world, and finally facing and coming to terms with death.

It is overcoming the odds, winning a battle that seems impossible, experiencing justice, and eternal rewards.

All the events I named are not generic life events but real emotions and experiences felt and lived by Mary, Joseph, and Jesus.

The rosary is not just a set of beads used as a guide for repetition. It is the symbol of the story of the life of Jesus. Knowing and meditating on his story causes growth in our spirits and strength for our souls. It connects us to him as human beings who experience the same things and enlightens us in our own struggles.

I am a cradle catholic who lived a typical life of catholic school and going to mass on Sundays - not much else. I miscarried a baby 12 years ago and faced the question we all face. Why God?? Why have you abandoned me? When you ask that question, just as Jesus did on the cross, it is not abandonment but rather an invitation by God to make a choice: "Turn towards me and I will give you what you need or turn away and lose everything."

I chose to turn toward him because I felt I had no alternative. I was desperate for children and I knew He was the only way. I found peace and safety in the rosary because I felt, "who would understand my pain better than the Blessed Mother." It was a baby step, that has led to hundreds of baby steps in my faith.

Faith is not a giant leap you can take and be done with. It is a lifetime of steps forward and backward. Each step gives you growth, knowledge, peace, and understanding.

I challenge and invite each of you to pick up a rosary. Learn how to pray it. Take a baby step on your path towards communion with God.

As Catholics we use the terms communion and eucharist synonymously. Our goal as a parish council is to recognize and share that the eucharist is in fact the source and summit of our faith.



Visit www.parishbookclubs.com for book picks, reviews, and discussion questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment