Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Inspired Catholic...Yes, We Exist!

by Tina Coffey

My tagline for Parish Book Clubs is: Be informed, be inspired, be active, and be Catholic.  I arrived at this after pondering what things had transpired inside of me to change me from who I was to who I am now on the journey to become.   For me personally, I love experiencing those “Ah hah!” moments.  Whether the inspiration comes from a movie, a book, prayer, or even some encounter in nature - it is that moment when you feel like you have a new understanding or perspective of something and you just marvel at it.  Some may recognize it as divine revelation.

As a cradle Catholic my faith is certainly something I always loved but definitely did not fully understand or appreciate.  Like so many Catholics, I went through the motions but considered myself a fairly good person because I attended Mass regularly.  By the grace of God, somewhere along the way, something began to change inside of me.  

I wouldn’t say that I experienced some radical conversion.  Rather, my transformation was a slow process.  In retrospect, I’m amazed at God’s infinite patience with me.  In recent years, my love, understanding, appreciation, and fervor for my Catholic faith has grown exponentially.  I can’t seem to learn enough.  I consume books and articles, video presentations and even classes and they only seem to make me hungry for more.  

How did this happen?  Ten years ago, my weekend reading consisted of whatever weekly gossip magazine was available at the grocery store checkout.  I enjoyed this type of reading knowing that what was printed might or might not be true but I justified it because I told myself, “I just want to mentally check out and not have to think.”  While there is not really anything wrong with that, I have come to appreciate my time here on earth and I don’t want to waste it “not thinking.”  

Tonight I watched a Youtube video as part of some supplemental material for a class I’m taking.  The video is a presentation by Christopher West who is known for his work regarding Theology of the Body.  Theology of the Body is a teaching that Pope John Paul II first revealed to the world.  I will admit that I started to read one of West’s books on the topic but had trouble getting into the book. Until I started taking this class, I was familiar with the subject matter but not thoroughly educated on it.   However, after watching tonight’s video, I feel like I had one of those “Ah Hah” moments.  

West said something in the video that literally brought me to tears.  He describes the analogous relationship of Jesus and the Church to that of a husband and wife.  As in a human marriage, the wife must be open to receiving the husband’s seed.  Only then can she have life within her.  In the same way, the Church which is made up of all of humanity must be open to the gift of divine life being offered by Christ.  What he said next is what really opened my mind up to a new thought.  Mary was so open to God’s will that she was able to literally conceive divine life within her.  Think about that for a moment.

By the grace of God, here was a human being who was conceived without sin.  There was no sin within her.  Sin is what blocks us from God.  It is what separates us from our loving Father.  She had no sin and because of that fact and the fact that she chose to conform her will to His, that Divine Life was made manifest in her womb.  That is powerful!!!

I’ve learned over the years that if I have difficulty grasping something I may have to put it down for a while and come back to it at a later time.  Sometimes we just aren’t ready to understand something fully or appreciate what it has to offer us.  I will be picking up that book on Theology of the Body and attempting to read it again.  

It is a great feeling to be inspired.  We can’t be inspired unless something prompts us.  I want Catholics to take a second look at their faith.  Pick up a book and actively pursue learning more.  If you have a disagreement with Catholic teaching, learn about it.  You will be amazed at why the Church teaches what she teaches!  Once you begin to learn and have those “Ah Hah” moments, you will find yourself motivated to take action in the world around you and then somewhere along the way, you will realize that you are in fact a Catholic!

*Note:  You can find that Christopher West video and books by West here.


Visit www.parishbookclubs.com for book picks, reviews, and discussion questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment