Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Two Components of Effective Evangelization

by Tina Coffey

As some of my readers know, I'm working on a book.  One chapter focuses on evangelization.  For me, evangelization is something that has begun to take over my life.  I say that with some hesitance.  You see, by nature, I would call myself shy.  As a child, I was painfully shy.  As an adult, I feel like I have overcome my shynes for the most part.  I would credit being in a loving relationship with my husband and the contentment of being a part of a family as the major contributing factor that has helped me gain the confidence to overcome my shyness.  I have come to appreciate being in the company of others mainly because my faith has taught me to recognize the value and fruitfulness of communion with others.  God calls us to communion with others and communion with Him. Everything we do should lead us to this communion.  This brings me back to the topic at hand:  evangelization.
In order to be effective evangelizers, I feel there are two key components that are crucial: Teaching and touching. The purpose of evangelization is to share the gospel message in an effort to bring others into a relationship with Jesus Christ.  We must educate others on who Jesus was, what He promises, and the proof we have that He is the real deal.  We must touch others by connecting with them on a human level.  As human beings we all face the same challenges, most notably we all suffer.  By sharing the good news of Jesus Christ, we can show our brothers and sisters that this isn't all there is. There is hope for a brighter day!
This is the reason for this website.  We must first be catechized in order to catechize others.  The more you learn about God, you can't help but grow in your relationship with Him.  Once you are armed with this knowledge, the Holy Spirit uses the gifts each of us possesses to do amazing things.  But we each must be open to God's will and allow Him to use each of us as instruments to bring about the Kingdom of God.


Visit www.parishbookclubs.com for book picks, reviews, and discussion questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment